Tuesday, August 16, 2005

First impressions!

First Impressions are hard to change! Now that we have all read the case and answered the questions it is time for me to tell you about my experience with Modzilla. To be honest I was not impressed with the Modzilla product, and here is why.

The company I work for is a regional real estate developer; I started working for them shortly after I left Cingular earlier this year. There are about a dozen of us in our two offices located in Seattle & Spokane, with a high volume of our employees out in the field on the construction sites. Needless to say our office primarily uses the Microsoft office sweet of Outlook, Excel, Word & Internet Explorer. When I started with this company they had 2 computers that had been affected by viruses so the company had just stopped using them. One of those computers was going to be my office computer so I had the task of getting it back up and running. I took the computer to the local computers repair shop down the street and I explained the problems. I gave them all of the supporting software that we wanted to have installed on the computer, and that was it. Two days later I picked up the computer and the shop told me what they fixed and they mentioned that they had added some software as some of the programs were outdated. One of the programs that they said was outdated was Internet Explorer, which they replaced with the Modzilla browser.

So as we settled down with the new computer and since we don’t utilize browse the internet that much at work we didn’t really notice a difference. Sure the buttons were different but being that we are generic users of the web we didn’t really see the additional value that Modzilla had. After a week or so we started to notice that we did have some problems accessing/viewing some other company’s web sites. I thought it was just a problem with our network so we didn’t pay that much attention to it. Well after this problem continued to occur for over a week I realized that it had to be a technical problem. So we started to try and figure out what the problems were. We could see that our computers with IE could access these sites so we were able to narrow down the problem to be the Modzilla browser. I contacted the PC repair shop and asked them if they had any suggestions as I couldn’t get the sties to work. They told me the whole story on Modzilla, and why it was a better browser then IE and all that good stuff. They also told me to go online and I could find help within the firefox webs sites. Needless to say I was a little skeptical as it sounded like they were sending me off on a wild goose chase. As it turned out that is exactly what happened. I spent over an hour trying to find a solution to my problem but every time I dug into stuff I came up with the same results. I felt hopeless. After spending a couple of hours on this I decided to throw in the towel and re-install IE onto both computers. After I installed IE on both computers I then de-installed the firefox browser. Hoping to never see it again. Then four months later we have this class and we have a case study on how good this web browser is and how the ground swelling movement is going to help firefox replace the Microsoft IE browser. I am not convinced as it is hard to overcome your first impression.

1 Comments:

Blogger Websmartads.com said...

Dicecities.net
Large selection of Websites for sale, starting as low as $19.99 come by and check it out.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home